Thursday, September 16, 2010

PaperPlay DT Card - All Shapes and Sizes

Hi Blogging Buddies,
It is Thursday and this week for me it is PaperPlay Thursday.
This week the challenge is to make a shaped card of any kind.
I dont often make shape cards so I chose to use my SU Top Note Die Cut to cut out my card.  It is a mini-card ~ but I love making mini-cards.  Our sponsor for this week is Craft Brulee and wow do they have some beautiful hand-made flowers at that shop! I just love them.  If I won I would be definately be getting some of those here is a picture if you havent seen them yet...
How pretty are they? I think I need some asap : )
Well...would you like to hear a little about my card?
I made it using papers from the Prima "Jack and Jill" collection...they are so sweet...and you can buy them here at The Craft Garden.  The flower and butterfly are also from The Craft Garden.  I distressed and inked all the edges and coloured with Copics using colours to match the papers.  I added some lace, a blue button, kindy-glitz and glimmer mist.  (I am a bit obsessed with glimmer mist at the moment, can you tell?)
 I couldn't resist the opportunity to enter a few challenges:

ABC Challenge Blog - D is for Distressing

So, would you like to play along with a shape card?  Click on the picture below to go straight over to the PaperPlay blog and check out the rest of the Design Team's amazing inspiration.

I am a bit behind on my "Learn Something New Everyday" program...but there is a significant learning that has come to my attention today.  When wishing to command the attention of children (ie. a class, but perhaps it could work at home as well) use a low voice, and I mean in pitch as opposed to a higher-pitched voice and talk slower than you normally would.  I have heard before that kids respond to male voices better than they do to female voices and so I am wondering if that has something to do with the lower pitch of a male's voice.  I have had the opportunity this week to see lots of different teachers using their voices and it is a theory I am coming up with.  Try it with your kids (if you have any), get out your low, slow, masculine voice and let me know if you think it is effective.  I suppose there is research on this somewhere, but I havent looked, so I cant back it up with any hard and fast evidence...Just something I learned today while dealing with some of the most challenging classes and children I have seen in a long while.

Thanks for stopping by,




18 comments:

Cheryl said...

WOW this is very beautiful Alicia,the glimmermist looks fantastic......I need to use more of it!!! Love that colour combo,always looks fabulous together!!
xx

Deirdre said...

Alicia, love your card - so much detail - absolutely fab.

Unknown said...

A wonderful map simply wonderfully I am away there and.

Thank you for your participation with creative Stamp friends-creative stamp Friends.
LG Nicole

Kerrie said...

I was obsessed with glimmer mist... humm .. must get it back out!... Your card is gorgeous as always, and I'll use my low voice on my staff tomorrow!

Carol Dee said...

1st, I love your shape card. That top note die sure is handy to have! I am looking into some glimmermist. It sure looks grand on your creations. And those flowers you want, they are so YOU !
2nd, I agree with the voice thing. I drive a school bus and work in an elementary lunch room. All the shrill womens voices get ignored! Have a guy come in and say STOP it stops now! Or a calm women with a lowered voice does get a better response. I must remember that when they are pushing my patience on the bus! :)
I hope your next class is better behaved. Hugs....

stephanne said...

Oooooh, I love it!!! I have been on a hunt for paper like that, so now I know what to ask for, something mainly white or light in base, with delicate floral, and look at you, using everything to perfection to make the most wonderfully shabbilicious creation, love it!! The colours, the shape, the image, wow, FAB!!!

VS said...

I LOVE your sweet, fallish card!!! Could your little girl be any cuter??? I don't think so, lovely card friend!!!
Smiles,
Susie

Sassy Scrapper said...

What a fun card! I love the shape you chose. And the image is a real cutie pie. And yumm those flowers are divine.
Hugs my sweet friend
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card, the colours you've used are fab. Thanks for joining us at ABC Challenge. Sue C x

chris said...

this is just all so perfect, stunning work. hugs chris xx

Leigh said...

Beautiful card Alicia.

Kreatives von Andrea said...

What a wonderful card. A very nice image and a great design.

Thank you for your participation at Creative stamp Friends.

A nice greeting Andrea from germany

Distressed Miss said...

Oh she is adoreable. I love your choice of colours and great distressing.
Thanks for joining us at ABC.
Hugs
Clare
x

Närrin said...

A wonderful card with a beautiful composition.

Thanks for stamping with creative stamp friends

greetings,
Esther

Patricia Mae said...

Alicia very pretty I love it and you got it vintage something i just can't get the hang of, awesome job! Good luck.
~Patricia
The Beary Sweet DT

Marjo said...

Awesome shaped card, delicious flowers. Wonderful DT creation.

Hugs Marjo

Jamie said...

What a pretty card! I love the colors, edges and the flower center. Wow! Thanks for joining us in our vintage challenge at The Beary Scrap!

Jamie from The Beary Scrap DT

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Hi Alicia - this is really sweet! I love the way Tilda fills out the mini size card. I don't remember seeing anything so perfect - I'm really inspired!

Your vintage is great, too. I love the distressed edges and crochet. Yum! Thanks so much for joining our Beary Sweet Challenge - good luck!

Cheers,
Susan