Sunday, November 7, 2010

Scrapbooking Questions


Hi Blogging Buddies,

I am totally in awe of scrapbookers...they amaze me with their talents and their inspiring creations.  I am a big believer in learning new things and understand that when you first start out something it takes time to get "good" at it.  I feel it is safe to call myself a  blogger and a card-maker but I am itching to get into scrapbooking. I have made a few attempts...but havent felt like I am doing it "right" or haven't been too happy with the way the finished product looks. I am looking for some help.  I think I struggle mostly with the following things:

1. Materials...even though I have heaps of papers and embellishments etc...I can only seem to use them on cards...should I buys some kits just to get me started and heading in the right direction?

2. Photos...I cant print them out nicely on my printer as it is too old so I struggle with having no photos to scrap and I go into town to get some printed out and come home not sure what to do with them or where to start.  Would getting a new printer help?

3. Page layouts. I know what I would like my pages to look like...but I am really not sure how to make it happen! This kind of comes back to the materials again.

4. What to begin with...I have tried several tactics. I started scrapbooking my baby photos...then paused...then thought maybe a photo for every year of my life...then I just wasnt sure...I guess my purpose has never been too clear...

5. Would digital scrapbooking be more for me? Less time consuming and maybe easier because you can just press delete and undo if you dont like something and then start again without feeling guilty for wasting materials. But then what programs should I buy and should I print them out?

Maybe you could give me some tips, or point me in the right direction.

(Just a few questions for a Sunday morning...as I blog-hop around...suppose I better get back into the day and get onto some of my DT work! I have a bit of a sore throat this morning...oh oh....and a whole week of work booked in...so I dont think I will have a whole lot of time after school for creating much...I will probably be sleeping!...Best to get the things done today that need to be done!  Hope you have an enjoyable Sunday!)

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Hi Alicia
You could start with a small scrapbook say
8x8 then you could use the papers you have

I would say getting a new printer would be the first step I have just purchased a new one myself
and it makes all the difference

You can download a digital scrapbook program free here

http://www.serif.com/digital-scrapbooking/

Hope this helps
Wendi

karenw said...

Hey Alicia,

Ok, lots of questions, many different answers.

I do both digi and paper scrappping, and digi is really not a lot faster but advantage is you can delete wahtever you want, it is cheap and there is tonnes of freebies once you start subscribing to sites. And you can get more arty pages as well, which can be fun. I print mine at 8x8 because I don't have a 12x12 printer.

I love to get kits because they have up to date stuff and it is cheaper than buying it in Aus.

The kits (have a look at cocoa daisy, studio calico and scrapbooking circle) are fairly coordinated without being too matchy, allowing for some freedom. You can also check out the Dt's work with each kit, a big help as you can choose a style that you like the look of as well.

Yes get a new printer, makes a huge difference and allows a lot of flexability. I've got a canon, not too expensive but prints high quality photos. I haven't printed out photos at a shop for years now.

oh and it is completely addictive (similar to card making I suspect).

send me an email through the southern girls address any time you want some help and I'll be happy to do what I can. xx

Kerrie said...

Oh Alicia, I wish I could help... I do know my daughter purchased a small canon selphy CP730 printer, its probably old now, but something like this would save time and money... hummm christmas is coming... good chrissy present.... Kez x